Friday, March 20, 2009

TGIF Artventures

Do you know where you're from? I mean, do you really know where you're from?


This journal topic got me thinking about both my grandmas. I was so fortunate to know each one and to have spent time with them. I spent weeks at their homes during my summer vacations even though we all lived in Los Angeles. LOL! It was so much fun to be at their homes. I baked, made sherbet and shopped with one and played in the cellar or backyard with the rag dolls my other grandma made.

My mother's mom passed away from Lupus when I was 11 and she was 62. During that time there were no meds and you just dealt with it and took precautions. There's still no cure for this deadly disease but more is known about it. It's kinda sad that my grandmother hemorrhaged from a nose bleed. I'm glad that any questions I've ever had about her have been answered by my mother. It's even better that I was able to talk to my other grandmother about her youth and views on life. She was so funny and smart and my children where able to know her until she passed away almost 5 years ago.

I get my creative gene from both grandmothers and my recycling gene from my mother. LOL! The page below is a "before" picture from my journal and on it are catalog library cards that I saved from the dumpster. I doodled on the back of some and then painted the other ones with Caran D' Ache water-soluble crayons. I LOVE those crayons! I should use them more often cause they really give a punch of color. I also used them on my .99 store background tissue page.


I got these from my blog friend Aimee! Aren't these fun? It's a great way to utilize some of those scraps of paper or small images you have hoarding in a drawer. You can click on her blog to the right of this post. She's a great doodle-er and her use of color is mind boggling!







If this was 30 something years ago, I'd be getting ready for that night out. But now it's a whole other story. As soon as Friday rolls around, I know I can do an all nighter with my papers, paints, journal, stamps, etc..! LOL! I KNOW I'm not the only one! You're paints will never stand you up. You're sure to have a great time with your stamps! Your paper and journal don't size you up or notice that you've put on a couple, alright FEW, pounds. LOL! And your glue will stick with you in good times and bad. HAHAHA! Hmmm. I guess that would make my husband an art supply. A Jimmy. LOL!!!

4 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

No, you're not the only one! LOL I'm supposed to be packing (you know, for my move in May?) Well, I haven't packed ONE BOX this evening *sigh*.

What I HAVE done is faux rusted 2 large canvases and painted another canvas using the dimensional technique I wrote you about.

It is now 9:35pm and I need to go to bed to get up to go to Paris to the Moon tomorrow morning. So I guess the packing will have to continue on Sunday????? *smiles*

Stampmaiden said...

Sherry, you have a little over a month to pack. Don't worry about it. LOL!
Linda

Bea said...

I didn't really have a relationship with my grandmother. She was a cold, unhappy, unpleasant person around me. I never quite understood her. My great aunt, on the other hand, was ALWAYS in my life, participating, loving me, sharing all sorts of wonderful creative things with me.
My mother turned the raising of me over to her and I'm so glad she did. She's the one that taught me that life is impossible to be boring.
And, hey, even old married ladies want to stay home on Friday nights. That's when Ghost Whisperer in on!! lolol :)Bea

Stampmaiden said...

Thank God for aunts. I have a few wonderful ones who did some great things for me and I have good memories to reflect on.
Linda