Monday, August 29, 2011

Change

"CHANGE" is the prompt this week at Every Inchie Monday and as  you all know there's a lot of changing that goes on in fitting rooms.  Some good, some downright BAD.

Decades ago (at first I typed out many years ago, then I changed it to several years ago but in reality it was many decades ago and who am I kidding anyway) I worked in a department store where on occasion I'd stand at the fitting room handing out numbered tickets to customers.  I wore a red smock (we all did) and thankfully red was my color.  I was young(er), had long hair and when customers weren't trying to score a date with me they were yelling at me because they couldn't try on underwear.  as in panties.  Which reminds me, try not to buy underwear that isn't in a package cause you just never know.
Working in a department store taught me a couple things.  First, never argue with the customer because no matter how stupid their claim is they're always gonna be right and you can possibly loose your job if you tell them like it is.  Two, if something really cool goes on sale the majority of the employees will have their hands on it before the sale starts and the only sizes left will be the 0's or 1's.  How many times has that happened to YOU?  This was back in the days when sale prices ranged anywhere from $3.99 - $7.99 max and we're talking clothing items!
Even today, several decades later, I have dreams about going to work at that same place.  I actually call them nightmares.  A typical dream will go like this.  I walk into the store and have no idea what my schedule is cause I haven't been to work in a really long time.  Duh.  I walk back to the fitting room area and just stand there wondering when my next day off is.  
If you work at a fitting room, I have high respect for you and I will promise you that if I come to your fitting room, I will NOT be asking you if I can try on a pair of panties.
This post has been brought to you by the word CHANGE.  As in "change of clothes, time, job and panties."      
     

5 comments:

Kathy McElroy said...

What a great theme! love it. Thanks for your comment on my coin inchie.

Dolores said...

What a great post. I worked in the food and stationery dept. Not for long though - thank goodness. My shortest stint was at the lunch counter making fries - sent back by one customer who didn't like golden brown fries. 4 wks was the max there. Got a super job as an usher at a live theatre. That was in the days when the patrons got dressed up and no drinks were allowed at your seats.

Joanne Huffman said...

Tat's one of the best stories for an inchie word I've ever read! Love it.

Kris said...

What a great post! Totally love it and laughed a lot :)

Threads of Inspiration said...

I love your post, it gave me quite a chuckle. Having worked in retail I know the "customer is always right" thing, even though you might want to bash them over the head with some good sense! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment!